Below are the details on the City of Phoenix’s Last Best and Final offer reference the 2012 – 2014 MOU. While many issues are off the table such as freezing longevity and getting rid of the uniform allowance, the final offer from the City represents only restoring 1.5% of the agreed upon concessions. They have also proposed mechanisms to get the remaining 1.8% back in year two of the contract. Since the City’s last offer will leave Phoenix police Officers 1.8% in total compensation below where we were two years ago, the PLEA board is unanimously recommending that the membership vote “NO” on this offer and that we proceed to advisory arbitration.
2012 CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS UPDATE
City’s last, best and final offer
Agreed Upon Issues:
- Goldwater issues: Info presented thus far indicates that full-time release personnel are of mutual benefit to PLEA and the City.
- Critical Incident Protocol: PLEA and the City will work to update the critical incident protocol with the goal being to allow an Officer up to 48 hours to give an interview.
- Wait 1 hour for Rep: PSB will wait up to 1 hour for a PLEA Rep when the unit member didn’t have a PLEA Rep initially and PSB is serving additional NOI’s.
- Labor Management Committee: Clean up language.
- Purging of Discipline: Changes the rules on purging discipline to reflect new state law.
- Holidays: Will be observed on actual day for Officers in 24/7 assignment. ie. Christmas
- PLEA present in briefings: PLEA will be allowed to present info in briefings up to four times a year.
- Career Survival Class: Allowed to be held at PLEA office when we start hiring again.
- Work 2 hours on Holiday: 4/10 employees will have right to come in for 2 hours on holiday they are forced to take off instead of burning BV time.
- Loudermill Hearings: City will allow expert witness to submit written information to Chief.
- Wellness Committee: Joint committee with goal of eventually allowing some form of on-duty workout time for everyone.
- Tuition Reimbursement: Lowered to $6,500 a year. Can roll over unused funds to year 2 of contract. More in line with other Cities.
- Long Term Disability: Reduce max age to 75 from 80 (applies to injuries sustained when off duty).
The above items have been agreed to by both sides. These will stay in effect regardless of vote on economic issues.
City’s Final Economic Proposal:
- Despite current language in existing contract (3.2% temporary concession is restored on June 30, 2012) City is only offering to restore some of the concession (1.5%).
- 6/30/10 = $34.82 top step, No furlough days, 2.18% DCP, allowed to sell 40 hours BV a year.
- Today = $34.47 top step, 16 hours Furlough, 0.18% DCP, can’t sell BV.
- City Proposal = $34.82 top step, no Furlough hours, 0.37% DCP, can’t sell BV.
- Total Compensation approximately 1.8% LOWER than two years ago. (1.5% “restored”).
- Other: 1.8% to be restored in year two if certain triggers are met.
- Mechanism for raise if general fund revenue grows at 8.5% or more (this is not likely to occur).
- PLEA last offer: 3.2% concession back year one, 4% total compensation increase year two.
- Unit 1 (Laborers) and Unit 5 (Firefighters) have already agreed to this package, If you are in agreement with the city’s offer vote “YES”.
- If you disagree with the City’s final offer and are willing to show up when we need you, then vote “NO” (if you vote no we will need your physical in person support for when we go to council) .
- If, based on a majority of ballots cast, the city’s offer is voted down; we will go to fact-finding and then, per the ordinance, take our issues to the City Council.
- Your elected PLEA board has taken a DO NOT PASS stance.
Voting will begin on Friday March 23, 2012 at 0730 hours and conclude on Wednesday March 28, 2012 at 1200 hours. The reason for the short voting period is to ensure that we do not forfeit any of your meet and confer rights under the ordinance. You must vote in person at the PLEA office and per the bylaws, you must be a member in good standing to vote.
Informational meetings for MEMBERS ONLY will be conducted at the following dates and times at the PLEA Office. Please feel free to attend.
Friday, March 23, 2012:
0900 hours and 1500 hours
Monday, March 26, 2012:
0900 hours and 1600 hours
Tuesday, March 27, 2012:
0900 hours and 1200 hours